States

Monday, September 5, 2011

summer treats


Wow! It's been a very long time since I last posted about ice cream. Since San Francisco, I've taken several trips and sampled the ice cream. Today, however, I wanted to talk about my summer project: homemade popsicles. I bought a popsicle mold from Amazon and started looking up popsicle recipes online. I've found a lot of great links. One of my favorite is from Laura's Best Recipes..
http://laurasbestrecipes.com/2010/07/100-homemade-popsicle-recipes.html
This is the granddaddy of all sites. It lists a number of sites devoted to making your own homemade treats; simple classics such as strawberry pops all the way up to gourmet popsicles, veggie pops, and alcoholic pops.
I've tried a few different recipes and my family's favorite so far is the strawberry/peach pop. It's very simple to make, requires few ingredients, and my husband swears they taste like strawberry daquiris!
Here's the recipe:
Frozen Strawberry-Peach Pops

From Country Living
A frozen treat to keep you cool in the heat. When selecting fruit, the most important features to look for are color, texture, and fragrance. For example, a peach should have no traces of green.
Serves: 5

Yields: Five 4-ounce servings

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup(s) sugar
* 6 ounce(s) strawberries, hulled
* 6 ounce(s) peaches, peeled and pitted
* 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice

Directions

1. Bring 1/2 cup of water and the sugar to a boil and let cool. Puree the strawberries, peaches, cooled syrup, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water in a food processor. Fill five 4-ounce paper cups or popsicle molds with the strawberry-peach mixture.
2. For paper cups, place on a tray, cover securely with plastic wrap, and pierce a popsicle stick through the plastic into each cup. For popsicle molds, follow manufacturer's instructions. Freeze until solid.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment