States

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Turkish Delight


Hi there! I was going through some travel photos and found this picture from Capadoccia, Turkey. We were touring some of the troglodyte dwellings.The people who lived here were practicing early Christianity and hid in the soft stone formations from the Romans. Fascinating visit! 

The stone buildings are described as "fairy castles".  I'll let you come up with your own description of them.  I can tell  you that "fairy castles wasn't the first thing I thought of when I saw them.

Anyways, after climbing down from the ruins, we wandered into yet another makeshift Turkish bazaar, each stall hawking t-shirts, purses, and souvenirs. In between the tents a  gentleman was twirling something that looked like salt water taffy from a stick. He would swing it around a few times, then plop it back down into a container. He noticed my fascination and invited me over for a spoonful. Surprise! It was vanilla ice cream!

I have to admit I was leery of the hygiene and sanitation issues, but tried it anyways. Strange texture, but very good. I didn't get sick either. All in all, a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment